Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Meeting with Narayana Murthy - Infosys

I am very excited to publish this post.
This is once in a life time opportunity that just happened to me last weekend. I attended one of the fund raiser events for Akshaya Patra a non-profit organization that feeds more than one million kids in India where Mr. Narayana Murthy - Chairman of the board of Infosys was a key note speaker. BV Jagadeesh a family friend and a well wisher to my 2 children invited me to this event. The way I would introduce BV to anyone, "BV is a great human being who treats every one (Narayana Murthy to my 13 year old daughter) the same way". In my opinion this quality of his has turned him to be a successful serial entrepreneur & venture capitalist in the bay area. I see him involved in charity events through out the year. He & his wife Anu share similar thoughts when it comes to charity. I have seen many rich people rich through the wealth they acquired, there are a few who are rich at heart more than the richness through wealth. BV is one of them. I wish them a long meaningful charity filled life !!

When BV invited my family to this dinner event I was not sure and didn't really understand the purpose of the event. Since we were busy the whole day with many other weekend classes and activities we didn't really plan on attending this event. On our way back we stopped at India Community Center (ICC) where this event was held to hand over some things to my daughter who was performing a cultural program for the attendees. BV and his wife Anu insisted that we stay back and watch the show. As mentioned earlier this was a charity show attended by 250 business delegates from the bay area. This show generated few hundred thousands of dollars in this economy leading to $ 1 Million mark set by the Akshaya Patra foundation (visit http://www.foodforeducation.org/ for more details and contribute to this noble cause if you can)
At the end of the show I stayed back to greet a few business folks I know through my business connection. We were about to sign off from BV who introduced me to Mr. Narayana Murthy a simple man who still leads a simple life. I have no words to explain how I cherish this moment in my life. NM as you know is one of the architects of the Indian IT industry and a great man when it comes to charity. I am yet to come out of this excitement. An unplanned visit brought this great moment to me in my life.

My sincere thanks to BV & his family.

2 comments:

Uma Naresh said...

I once met Mr. Narayana Murthy in a flight from Mumbai to Bangalore.
Due to technical snags the plane was stranded in mumbai for nearly 1.5 hours and I was "promoted" to Business class owing to my late arrival. Mr. Narayana murthy was travelling from IIM (A) back and we spent nearly 2 hours speaking to each other. I have the boarding pass with his "autograph". After teh conversation he "invited" me to his house in the evening and considering that this was ten years ago and i was still a greenhorn between my ears, I excused myself quoting "very urgent" official (you see i was a senior engineer with a public scetor undertaking in the MoD!)work.
Well , I would kike to think both of us lost a golden oppurtunity.
As they say in Jubail (where I work now), Inshallah , we shall meet again.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.