Friday, November 30, 2007

Business Idea - Personal Widget

I was at the San Francisco city today. SFO is considered to be the Financial district of California. Most of the tall rise building have security at the ground floor. You need to know someone in that floor before you can get to that floor. What surprises me is that even the rest rooms (toilets) are secure after you reach a floor. You need a key to use the rest room that explains the notion of a Financial district !!

Jokes apart I thought of this Business Idea that I would call a "Secure Wallet". We all carry wallet with all the credit cards and bank or ATM cards. Most of the online purchases we do require credit card information to be entered on that website be it purchases in Amazon or Ebay or Air tickets every site would ask for your card information. There is always this security issue in providing this information as we don't know how this will be used by that business entity. If these companies don't have a secure way to mask our banking information one disgruntled employee is good enough to expose our records.

Here is my idea. If you use this idea to make money pls. send me a thank you mail!!

We live in a Widget world. We have widget for every thing. Google widgets (calendar, lowest gas price etc) are examples of that. What if we come out with a widget (API) where I enter and store all my credit card and banking information and expose the web service to each of the card that I store. For eg. if I have a Wells Fargo card I will store my name on the card, Card number, expiry date, type of card, 3 digits at the back of the card and call it with a tag say (WF). Assume that this widget is stored on a secure server that I subscribe to. When I want to make a purchase on a website all I need to do is to provide the secure server name, user Id, password that this server will recognize, tag (WF), amount I authorize. With this I don't have to provide my banking info to any site and I can still make the purchase !!

No comments: